Well, This’ll Reduce GP Workloads…

Remember all those headlines bewailing the pressure on GPs a few days ago?

GPs will be asked to identify patients who are putting on weight under a new national programme to help fight obesity.

And once they are identified, what then?

To the Fat Camps!

Mr Stevens said targeted schemes to prevent obesity, by losing weight, had been proven to work, and now needed to be introduced nationally.

And you know how those who have given up smoking are often the worst anti-smokers?

The chief executive of NHS England, who took up post in April has made it a personal mission to prioritise obesity prevention, after losing almost three stone.

Quelle surprise!

10 comments for “Well, This’ll Reduce GP Workloads…

1. Owen Lake
    December 30, 2014 at 12:38 pm

And your point is?

• January 1, 2015 at 7:53 am

I thought it was obvious…

2. Stonyground
    December 30, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I lost about a stone by keeping my diet roughly the same but taking a lot more exercise. Since I mostly enjoy swimming, cycling and running, I’ve just joined a triathlon club. Oddly, I don’t feel the need to get everyone else who is a little overweight to join me, as far as I’m concerned that is up to them. If a fat person is happy to stay fat I’m absolutely fine with it, if they don’t want to stay fat but do nothing about it I’m fine with that too, it’s not my problem, it’s theirs.

• Errol
      December 30, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Quite true, but you’d be a rubbish civil servant or Lefty. They desperately want to tell other people how to behave.

• January 1, 2015 at 7:53 am

Indeed!

3. Errol
    December 30, 2014 at 6:01 pm

As a podgy fellow myself I exercise 6 times a week. I’ve lost a lot, but it is not my business to tell other people how to behave.

This is simple mission creep to control the population. It will mean lecturing and hectoring all no doubt in the intent to start putting chocolate into plain pacakging or to ban Hagen Das. I can understand my asthma being monitored and my INR as a result of blood clots but I really, honestly don’t see why the nanny state has any business telling me what I can and cannot eat.

I am physically fit. Low cholesterol, low blood pressure, high muscle tone, no diabetes, no cancers, nothing. They just want to tell us what to do and they won’t stop until they can.

4. jaded48
    December 30, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I can’t understand what the govt are hoping to achieve here.If the whole country gets fit,gives up smoking and alcohol and we all live to be 100.Who will pay the pension bill? Everytime I see a person pigging out, smoking like a chimney or drinking themselves blotto I say to myself carry on mate-you lot will be paying for me for many years. I don’t drink or smoke and i’m a skinny wretch and I intend to live forever (well quite a bit longer anyway). 😉

• Mudplugger
      December 30, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Big mistake, Jaded48 – you’re assuming they’ve thought it through. Whatever gives you the idea that they’d break the habit of a lifetime ?
      It’s so much more fun hectoring them now – paying to keep them later will be someone else’s problem. Long grass ….. kick…..

• Voice of Reason
      December 31, 2014 at 10:28 pm

The ‘good’ news is that genetics still plays a greater role than lifestyle in longevity. In addition, we can almost certainly say that we will go senile if we live long enough. My suggestion is to encourage those over 60 to drink and smoke heavily. If necessary, we could give them ratin cards for same, like my parents had in the Army.

5. mona
    December 31, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Dodtors do have trouble spelling and sometimes they cannot tell if you are ill, this is a government exercise in bullshit, as for pensions ask the immigrants they all work hard and pay taxes?.