Nothing Much Happens! Film At 11!

A shocking video reveals how two men were subjected to homophobic abuse as they walked through a town holding hands.

BBC Radio presenter Iain Lee launched the experiment with Justin Dealey after a listener revealed people “shouted abuse” at him when he walked with his boyfriend.

Lee said he was so shocked by the listener’s revelation that he decided to see what happened if he walked through Luton holding another man’s hand.

Right, OK. Do I need to hide behind the sofa for this bit? Is it going to get scary?

Footage of the experiment shows people turning their heads and apparently staring at the pair as Dealey observes they “definitely had looks” within around four minutes of their walk.

They had….looks? Not assaults? Not flaming brands and pitchforks?

Lee adds: “I saw a dad usher a child away from us, did you see that?

“There was a dad walking with his kid, he clocked the hands, clocked us, and then said: ‘Come on, love. Come on.’”

OMG, HOLD THE PRESSES! Someone ushered their child away..!

Is there more..?

Oh, yes:

The pair then confront a teenager after hearing him say ‘eurgh’ as he walked past them.

Questioned about his remark, the boy replies: “I thought it was disgusting. I just think it’s wrong for two men… I just think it’s disgusting in my opinion.”

A woman, who appears to be his mother, adds: “He doesn’t obviously agree with homosexuality. It’s got a stigma. He’s a teenage boy.”

She adds: “I’m not against it, but I don’t like it in my face to be honest. It does make me feel a little bit embarrassed if you two were to embrace in a kiss, I’d feel a little bit awkward. Especially in Luton you don’t see that.”

Ah. Right. This is the best they could find? The most flagrant example of a red-in-tooth-and-claw homophobe turns out to be an Adrian Mole type and a mildly-apologetic woman?

Lee said the experiment left him feeling “surprised and disappointed”.

Not half as disappointed as anyone expecting to be confronted with the ‘shocking homophobic abuse’ promised in the headline…

16 comments for “Nothing Much Happens! Film At 11!

1. mikebravo
    January 22, 2015 at 11:42 am

The horror of the real world outside the BBC bubble is truly shocking. Enforced beboid re-education camps is what we all need.

• January 25, 2015 at 7:19 am

I thought that was behind the move to Salford… 😉

2. Robert the Biker
    January 22, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Ah, but you see, it’s all about THEM, everyone else must bow and scrape and fulminate about how wonderful homos are and how enriched we are by their mere prescence.
    The idea that most people are not really that bothered and just wish to be left alone without having it shoved in their faces never occurs. I love the way we are expected to clap or throw buns because they ‘confronted’ a boy who had a differing opinion to theirs. A pity he was with his Mum, he could have told them to fuck straight off. 🙄

• Brightside Bob
      January 22, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I watched the video. Two grown men pursue a (non aggressive) teenager & a woman companion (they didn’t know she was his mother). They persist in questioning him, they won’t let it rest. They then mock him about having ‘his hand(s?) down his trousers’…???

And yet, and yet, the two ‘adults’ are the injured party???
      The mother should’ve called for the coppers (yes, I know…).

The irony though (praise be!) is that it’s the mother who’s the gibbering compliant drone & not the ‘educashun, educashun, educashun’ teenager.
      The future generations may not be lost after all. 😉

• Robert the Biker
        January 22, 2015 at 3:01 pm

That’s because it is not and never has been about the issues, it’s pure pandering and gesture politics, “look how tolerant and right-on I am” They picked on (and it was exactly that) this teenager because they thought they could mau-mau him in safety. They would not have tried this on with a bunch of muslims, or a gang of lads outside the pub, because being told to fuck off most promptly on penalty of a kicking would have spoiled the game.

• Brightside Bob
          January 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm

The fact they bravely pursued a (harmless,teenage) boy & a woman is not lost on me. That was my main point. As I’m sure you know.

I was impressed with the way the lad stuck to his guns & didn’t back down. I think his pathetic mother should be proud of him, not ashamed.

• January 25, 2015 at 7:20 am

There is indeed hope!

3. Lord T
    January 22, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Can I suggest other locations where they can really get some abuse, maybe even get something worth talking about.

• Robert the Biker
      January 22, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Yeah, perhaps we should pass the hat so they can have a holiday in Iran or Syria 😀

• James Strong
        January 22, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Maybe they could go to Tower Hamlets.
        But I am confident they won’t because of the very high probability that some followers of the paedophile ‘prophet’ would not behave peacefully towards them.

• Robert the Biker
          January 22, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Not as dear for the ticket AND we could watch the results on the Nine O’Clock News
          Gets my vote! 😎

• January 25, 2015 at 7:21 am

As James Strong points out, no need to go that far. Iran & Syria have, unfortunately, come to US!

4. Crazed Weevil
    January 22, 2015 at 12:54 pm

So we have tolerance for them now, you know not throwing them in jail or trying to burn them at the stake, just as they asked for. Hell we even go so far as to not openly mock them for being different most of the time, only making the occasional comment when they do something really annoying.

But that isn’t good enough for them now. No, now we must celebrate their homosexually, love and adore it, all the while berating ourselves for being normal cisgendered heterosexual oppressors.

I suppose it’s because that only having tolerance of them means they become just as boring as the rest of us ‘normal’ people and they would have to stop being special little snowflakes.

5. Junican
    January 22, 2015 at 8:29 pm

When I was in the air-force in the early sixties, I was posted to Aden for a little while, a muslin country. It was common to see young men walking around in couples holding hands. It seemed odd to us Brits, but it was just their custom. On the other hand, it was the practice for women to walk several paces behind their menfolk. Odd, innit?

• Mudplugger
      January 22, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Sounds a bit like Bradford 2015 to me.

6. January 23, 2015 at 12:57 am

A feeling of disgust is against the Law these days. Yet it is fine to ‘interfere’ with a dad holding the hand of his little boy or girl at the beach or, shock, horror, taking a photo of their children on the swings.

Women and girls can walk almost naked down the street, exposing themselves to all and sundry (inc children) and we are supposed to uphold their ‘right’. Again, no-one is permitted to say “tut tut”. It is misogyny, don’t you know.