This is theft, pure and simple

Julia’s post on the travellers’ weed should annoy libertarians.

“The Johnsons have been very co-operative. The police are welcome at the site but not as a militant force.”

That’s a strange view. I’d be furious.

“You’re killing them plants. It’s murder.”

Much as I’ve a certain view of travellers, this is just wholesale theft of someone’s business, which then comes to which side of the debate you’re on.  I’m solidly on the side of the noble weed – why on earth is it held to be any worse than a few ales or bottles of whisky?

And vastly better than those designer drugs.  So when yours truly says it’s no more addictive than any of those others, probably far less, you’re obviously going to ask for proof and that’s going to incriminate me.

Not these days, with bronchitis but in the early days.

12 comments for “This is theft, pure and simple

1. February 2, 2015 at 10:38 am

I am in a bit of a dilemma over the weed issue here because, I agree on the point it’s no worse than a few beers etc.
    However I had a very dear friend (please note past tense) she was a weed smoker, at first it was occasional then her husband left her with 4 young children and she started partaking more heavily, over a very short period of time she developed drug induced paranoid schizophrenia, within two years she ended up hanging herself leaving 4 children orphaned because their father had a new wife and didn’t want them. I got a call from her 13 year old son, asking me to come, he had walked down stairs that morning and found his mum hanging from the stairs, I have never run so fast in my life.
    I have been through a huge amount in my life there are 2 events that run parallel for the worst events in my life this is one , the other was losing my nephew to cot death. Everything else palls in comparison and pales into insignificance.
    Weed is not harmless and can be deadly I have seen how this ladies children grew up and the damage it caused them, I would give anything to bring her back. I know realistically it was her own actions that brought about her demise, I am aware there are valid medical uses for weed, but I still say if we continue to make weed an acceptable drug we perpetuate a myth that it’s harmless because like all drugs it is not harmless.
    My partners daughter had a serious weed problem it caused paranoia, lying and deception, it got so bad we had to ask her to leave our home because at 23 she behaved like a 13 year old and it hugely contributed to her fathers mental health issues.
    There is very strong evidence that it stunts mental growth if smoked from a young age, himself’s daughter is evidence of this along with many of her peer group all of whom act like immature little children rather than young maturing adults.
    My friend lost her life and her children their mother, this was her action, but her belief that “weed could not harm her” perpetuated her use and contributed to her demise.
    I suppose it comes down to, as with most things, be careful, but if your judgement is already flawed you are in greater danger and therefore less likely to recognise that danger.
    Personal choice.

• Lord T
      February 2, 2015 at 11:58 am

Nothing in life is harmless. There will always be people that abuse anything but the point is that alcohol abuse has an impact, weed abuse also has one, so why is weed treated differently and I suspect that it is more to do with the fact that it grows easily and is thus difficult to tax than any other single reason.

• February 2, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I think that’s a very fair and valid point

2. Stonyground
    February 2, 2015 at 12:27 pm

It is also worth pointing out that Kath’s problems were in no way prevented by the weed being illegal. The case for any drug being banned can only be made if, by banning it, we can prevent the harm that it causes. Otherwise we have acheived nothing and have left ourselves with a raft of unintended consequences, mostly bad ones.

• February 2, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I agree Stony, but we need to educate and make the point it’s not harmless, criminalisation doesn’t cure. it doesn’t even deter.
      But this current attitude of “It’s only weed” is also very dangerous and that was the point I was attempting to make.

3. Flyinthesky
    February 2, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I have a similar dilemma to Kath. I know people who have partaken in weed consumption for decades and been fine but others whose lives have been ruined by it.
    It seems to be a substance that enhances pre existing traits, If you’re a relaxed and laid back person you become more laid back etc, now here’s the conundrum, in people predisposed to psychotic episodes the use of the weed indeed has a soporific effect and gives relief. If the use continues it seems to revert to the same effect it has on the laid back people it starts to enhance the condition rather than relieve it and further, stopping the use doesn’t return the user to their previous state. It leaves them permanently damaged.

4. February 2, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Always happy to annoy libertarians, James… 😈

But no, it’s not theft of property. The ‘property’ in question is illegal to possess.

• February 2, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Julia’s the small c conservative side of our brain. She’s right that it’s currently illegal but why the hell is it illegal?

• February 2, 2015 at 1:39 pm

A Libertarian may choose to ignore a law on the grounds that it’s illiberal, yet they still need to be aware that they are breaking a law and there may be consequences.

I tend to ignore the speed limit and drive to a speed I feel is safe for the conditions. I am aware though, that if I speed past a traffic cop, he’s going to want to have a word. Refusing to pay the resulting ticket on Libertarian grounds would be foolhardy.

• February 2, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I think Lord T nailed that in one “MONEY” ie the government don’t make any from it.

• Furor Teutonicus
      February 3, 2015 at 11:32 am

Yep Julia. “The unlawful aquisition of property belonging to another.”

The aquistion, and destruction (Intent to permenantly deprive the owner thereof) is NOT unlawful. Whether James Higham, or some other hippy bastards like it or not. ALL points must apply to complete the offence.

5. February 3, 2015 at 12:43 am

Drugs ain’t drugs. Some are psychotropic and damage not just the thinking and experiencing but the brain itself. I do not hold with making such things ‘illegal’ but I would extend restrictions on activities to include people taking weed, eg as in driving.