As If Businesses Needed Another Reason Not To Hire Women Of Childbearing Age…

The law should be changed to give mothers paid breaks to breastfeed and facilities to feed and store milk, an all-party Parliamentary report has said.

Good grief!

The group also calls for a raft of guidance to be issued, to help parents, employers and schools to improve the health of children.

Parents should be told to ban televisions and mobile devices from their children’s bedrooms, the report says, and given guidance about just how much computer and TV screen time their children should have.

It also calls for a national anti-obesity strategy, new standards to ensure children spend enough time playing, and laws to improve the quality of food supplied in nurseries and other early years’ settings.

And a pony? Why leave out the pony?!

APPG chairman Baroness Floella Benjamin of Beckenham, said the report showed that Britain needed to invest in changes to support the early years of childhood.

She said: “Sometimes to save money – you have to spend first. For me, investing in our children isn’t a luxury – it’s a priority and I have dedicated my entire life to it.”

But…it’s not your money, is it? You should have stuck to ‘Play School’, it was about your level…

25 comments for “As If Businesses Needed Another Reason Not To Hire Women Of Childbearing Age…

1. mikebravo
    February 20, 2015 at 9:43 am

“Baroness Floella Benjamin of Beckenham”. F.F.S.
    What about Baron von Brian Cant? Perhaps he wasn’t “one of the team”.

2. February 20, 2015 at 10:18 am

And there in a nutshell is why the Suffragettes of old must be turning in their graves.
    Modern feminazis take the piss, this in not equality for women this is “specialist treatment” because they are women, it’s in the same groups as “it’s coz I is black” and “it’s because I am Muslim” entitlement to something that should not be a right.
    Where will it end. It has to be law that a woman can give birth at her desk or in her place of work.
    I know my next comment will upset people, but I am sorry if you want to do these things then stay at home be a mother and raise your children, don’t just pop them out and hand them over to child care and wonder why in 15 years they are smoking cannabis and drinking. You have to be with a child and give it attention NOT take it work have special milk storage and special treatment. I am off to have an apoplexy.
    Before anyone yells at me for my views I will repeat… I AM A PRODUCT OF A VICTORIAN UPBRINGING. Children need nurturing.

• Cascadian
      February 20, 2015 at 5:49 pm

An astute comment that would have been better had “I know my next comment will upset people, but I am sorry” been deleted.

There is absolutely no reason to be sorry for comments that offend professional feminazis insane need to waste other peoples money.

• March 1, 2015 at 7:05 am

• February 20, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Well said! When I had my children, there were two major considerations:
      a) I had produced them so it didn’t seem right to ask anyone else to run round after them
      b) there was no way on earth I would hand them over to anyone else for hours on end at their most impressionable stage of development.

Whatever the financial sacrifices – and there were many – it was worth it as far as we were concerned.

The problems set in on trying to return to work; like other ex-full-time mothers, I have found myself repeatedly passed over in favour of younger women – though it’s possible to pick up odd scraps of temporary work when the same women head off for a brief maternity leave a year or so later (one of them is now on baby no 4).

Meanwhile, many of my children’s cohort are finding it virtually impossible to secure permanent jobs – though maternity covers are two-a-penny. Encouraging new mothers back to work before their babies are weaned may please some in the short term but it’s building up a potential unemployment time-bomb among the next generation of graduates and 18-25-year-olds who should be gaining work experience to become the skilled workers of the future – not to mention costing the state a fortune in benefits.

• March 1, 2015 at 7:06 am

We are sleepwalking to the collapse of our civilisation (as the progressives planned all along).

• Daedalus
      February 20, 2015 at 11:51 pm

• Woman on a Raft
      February 23, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Given the state of some maternity units, I would recommend it. There is a much better chance of your work colleagues giving a damn about whether you live or die, and they might be disposed to give you a hand to move round if they think they are going to get a mention on little Petunia Rose Eric Josh Mandy Roberta Kim Sanjay Muhammad Smith’s birth certificate.

• March 1, 2015 at 7:06 am

3. john in cheshire
    February 20, 2015 at 10:27 am

It’s yet another example showing that both houses of parliament haven’t enough proper work to keep them productively busy; all the grown up work is now conducted in other places, most notably by the nomenklatura in the EU. The HoP is now just a gigantic creche for the infantile and slow learners.

4. Flyinthesky
    February 20, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Indeed, so what would the next logical step be, having to have a quota of pregnant and breastfeeding women on the payroll.
    When will people realise you can’t have it all ways, the sad answer is when lunatics in government stop trying to facilitate it.

• February 20, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Concur with all.

• Bucko
        February 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm

As do I

5. Judd
    February 20, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Mrs Judd reads from the same hymnsheet as Kath Gillon.

This constant special treatment of and the sheer costs involved with various groups is going to make them virtually unemployable unless in the PC lala land of taxpayer funded unlimited waste.

Oh well, may as well milk it while the goings good…ho ho?.. no it’s ok got me coat on.

6. Ed P
    February 20, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Kath sums it up very well (above).

There’s no mention of reading skills (but then I wouldn’t expect “Baroness Floella”, coming from a TV background, to consider them). I despair for the future – most young mothers use TV to shut their brats up without monitoring (or seemingly caring) about what crap they watch. TV, with its pre-digested and americanised waffle, stifles inner development, especially the imagination. Books have the opposite effect.

• February 20, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I completely agree ED, television has become an abusive baby sitter .
      When my children were young I talked to them and played with them, I didn’t sit around checking my fuckbook account whilst they watched unmitigated cock waffle on TV and making the children entertain themselves.
      Before they started school I cooked with them, and painted , made plasticine from scratch, taught them to build with lego and duplo and read to them.
      I am proud to say my daughter does all these things with my grandson with minimal TV and then only with people who speak English. THANK YOU GOD.

7. John
    February 20, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Hmm.. is that the same Floella Benjamin… that childrens TV celebrity and celebrated lesbian who has never actually had children of her own?

You couldn’t make it up really could you. Let’s put someone with no personal experience of rearing theier own child in charge of policy…

• Junican
      February 20, 2015 at 8:26 pm

And she has the cheek to use the phrase “OUR children”!

• Ted Treen
      February 20, 2015 at 11:03 pm

“…Let’s put someone with no personal experience of rearing theier own child in charge of policy…”

And why not? We put someone with no personal experience of common sense or rational decision making in charge of government…

• Viscount Rectum
      February 21, 2015 at 12:10 pm

She is black to , will she do anything for miss Sunter who is white and her two sons who have been forced out of their home by african racists who object to “OYINGBO” (whites) living in a blacks only social housing block, see it in the Mirror on line. Not as important as a black man not allowed on a train by racist whites who may have found it easier to catch another train than the white mum to find another home.

• March 1, 2015 at 7:07 am

Well, she’s the perfect person to put in place of something if you want to change that very something, isn’t she?

8. February 20, 2015 at 11:44 pm

“Its the ‘economeeee’ stupid”.

In Oz a woman HAS to have a job to pay for the childcare costs of looking after her children while she is at work. Most of her after-tax pay goes on childcare fees, which are already subsidised from the taxes her husband pays on his salary. (Her pay, of course, we are constantly told is only 77% of his so she pays only 50% of his progressive tax)

But heck, the economy increases. The turn and churn of the money-go-round is all important. The ‘GDP’ magically goes up every year.

And wait… there is more…. an entire army of childcare staff, all ‘earning’ the money that the mother has to hand over and the dad is taxed to pay for. Jobs ! Taxes! More churn. More calls for ‘higher qualifications’ and Uni degrees in looking after kiddies. More demands for increased pay.

And loans for those childcare degrees, at interest…. Churn, churn, churn.

And don’t forget the free steak knives.

• February 21, 2015 at 10:47 am

Nail. Squarely. Head.

• February 21, 2015 at 11:13 am

I almost forgot. The free steak knives. Imported from China. We paid for those too.

9. Furor Teutonicus
    February 23, 2015 at 11:15 am

XX For me, investing in our children isn’t a luxury XX

If you wish to invest in yours, please feel free, but do not exepct the rest of us to help fund your droves of nigglets.