Switching off E4 on election day

When I read the above headline, I had to check the publication date twice, just to make sure that the previous day’s date was not March 31st. But, unfortunately, not only was this decision newsworthy, it was an accurate description of the political awareness standards of millions of British people aged between 18 ~ 25.

Dan Brooke, Channel 4’s Chief Marketing and Communications Officer was quoted as saying:- “Less than half of under-25s voted at the last election so we’ve engaged the most powerful weapon that we have at our disposal to try and boost that number – switching off their favourite TV channel for the day!”

Mr. Brooke, along with his cohorts in the higher echelons of Channel Four’s programming and production, with their presumably vast knowledge of their target audience, have decided that the only way to encourage the people whom normally slump or slouch in front of the flat-screens to actually accept that they live in at least a good replica of a democracy, is to switch off all the re-runs and interminable repeats of all the American garbage which is pumped into their audience’s antennae, and tell them, repeatedly, that it might be a good idea to vote!

Times without number I have heard variations on the basic theme of ‘There will never be any change’ or ‘politicians; they are all the same, and to vote only encourages them’. These lacklustre statements infuriate me beyond belief, for I am a child of the Second World War; I was born in the North-East as the Battle of Britain was being fought in the air over London and the fields of the South-East of England, when Nazi bombers were randomly bombing British cities, when a ruthless dictatorship was attempting to prove, in the prophetic words of King George Sixth, that “Might was right!” To understand my anger, try reading the matter-of-fact diaries of the War, typical of which was that of  Thursday 15th August 1940, up here in the North-East. We were fighting for our lives in those dark days; and our descendants cannot even be bothered to go out and bloody well VOTE!

My father, along with many tens of thousands more, had volunteered for the British Armed Forces; my Uncle who served in the Royal Artillery paid the ultimate sacrifice, and is remembered in a sleepy Normandy village. They volunteered, and sometimes they died, so that their grandkids might live, snug in their centrally heated homes; cocooned with their televisions, their computers, tablets, smartphones, and all the other techno-freakery which allows them to photograph someone, and send it halfway around the world in a second: and they have to be reminded to VOTE!

Give me Strength!

8 comments for “Switching off E4 on election day

1. Woody
    May 2, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Freedom was one one of the things people fought for in WWII. That freedom includes the right to be apathetic, skeptical and disinterested in the political process. Politicians of all stripes should view the level of voter non turnout as a vote against all of them.

2. Ripper
    May 2, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Okay, I will vote – but who do I vote for? None of them are worth a toss. Therefore I’m staying home.

3. May 3, 2015 at 3:10 am

Ok, you’d expect me to say go out and vote and there is clearly one lot who are not as the rest are. Yet the previous topic they have no stance on. Conundrum.

4. May 3, 2015 at 9:29 am

Woody, Ripper,

If you can’t make your minds up, don’t. But I would say that you should at least respect those who fought, alongside those who died for the freedom to vote, go to the Election Polling station, and if you still can’t make your minds up, spoil your vote, and don’t vote for anybody, but you would at least have saluted the IDEA of freedom!

5. ivan
    May 3, 2015 at 1:21 pm

For those that can’t find a candidate that is reliable and trustworthy may I make a suggestion – go and cast your vote but take a nice black marker pen with you and write ‘non of the above’ clearly at the bottom of the voting paper.

Somehow, I think that ‘non of the above’ would have the largest number of seats in parliament.

6. Errol
    May 3, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I was born in ’79. I didn’t fight in either or any war.

I value and appreciate the suffering and sacrifice made by those who died for my right to vote.

However, Mike: it is my *right* that they fought for, not the command that I do. For the privilege to choose.

However, now, despite all that sacrifice made, I have no rights. I have no power. No control. They do what they wish without regard for my will. They quite simply, get away with murder, rape, assault, theft without any recourse. Those wars, for the freedoms we supposedly hold so dear, were pointless.

We have no choices. The state has destroyed them. The only solution is a civil war, a resistance to the state machine so complete that it is crushed utterly, and democracy, referism, recall all returned and enforced.

7. May 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I write on two other blogsites, and a couple of comments upon the same post as this one bear repeating.

Pete Moore, on May 3rd, 2015 at 12:45 PM Said: Come to think of it, I might bother voting.

Colm, on May 3rd, 2015 at 12:52 PM Said:

Pete That could be interpreted as a vote for all the candidates 🙂

Mike Cunningham, on May 3rd, 2015 at 3:47 PM Said:

Colm, Not so much a vote as a perfect description.

8. mikebravo
    May 5, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Mike C.
    You certainly receive less abuse here than at one of the others.

Ivan, I prefer “A plague on all your houses”.