and on the Seventh Day, He rested.

My fans (all three of them) will testify to the fact that I am no great admirer of Unions, apart, of course, from my own marriage.  The Unions to which I refer are of course the Labour Unions, still going strong in the areas which protect them, such as Transport, Civil and Council Service, some of the Utility providers, such as Gas, Water & Electricity, have a fair Union representation. Apart from the Public Services, which are still strong supporters of the ‘Union’ philosophy and way of thinking, Unions hardly impact the vast majority of British workers. I detest the ‘uniformity’ demanded of Unionised staff, and it is, without doubt, the nearest thing to the Orwellian ‘Groupthink’ yet discovered. If you can’t speak up for yourself, if you cannot decide whether to negotiate your rate of pay before you commence working, or if you, as an Individual, are unhappy with some aspect of your working life, and cannot sort it by yourself; you may wish to shelter under the Union ‘umbrella’, but I believe that that is an abdication of personal responsibility.

However, not everything espoused by Unions is bad, or destructive. Unions have supported the stance that Sunday should be a day of rest for everyone for many years, and, although I myself have been divorced from any sort of organised religion for a number of years, I applaud the stance which states ‘Keep the Sabbath holy’, for every worker needs at least one day away from the grind, a day to rest, to unwind, to meet, know and grow with their families. When I needed a crew, or a whole project, to work on a Sunday, because of emergency or urgent need, I always ensured that the workforce received double time for all Sunday work. because I was asking them to leave their families, or their leisure, on a day when they should have been resting, and an increase in pay was the least I could do.

So when I read of the giant UK Retailer Next stating that Sunday was regarded as ‘just another day’, or otherwise a ‘normal working day’, I believe that British people should boycott indefinitely this moronic bunch of petty bullying pirates, who think they can treat their staff anyway they can, primarily because jobs are scarce, and anyone who states that they will not work on a Sunday can consider themselves redundant. True, the Sunday Trading Act does not refer in any way to a premium pay because of Sunday itself, but there is a silent duty upon employers which states, in no uncertain terms, “You know what is right, so do it!”

7 comments for “and on the Seventh Day, He rested.

1. Judd
    May 12, 2015 at 5:49 pm

On the other hand, unions do perform a function, i’ve long been in a union and without fail in my industry unionised jobs have always had better terms and conditions than the other sort.

Where it comes undone is when the union fails to exert some sensible discipline on its own members, in other words to prevent idiots bollocksing the job up for everyone by taking the piss re sickies and not doing their jobs properly, sometimes idiots need to be brought to heel and before the suits upstairs get involved, hence a good shop steward becomes the equivalent of an army NCO, maintaining standards as well as protecting their charges from the suited Ruperts in lower and middle management.

I didn’t like the move to Sunday shopping, have worked Sundays for years and still do but in industry where proper rates of pay for weekend working applied, weekend working should never be at standard rates of pay and i will never work unless paid correctly, shop workers are usually fairly low down the pay scales so its a double blow for them not to be paid correctly.

Sadly its all over bar the shouting, 7 day week working, unpaid overtime etc are rife across the board together with zero hours contracts, as is dangling job titles at youngsters in order to get them to work 20 extra hours a week more for bugger all but thats been going on for years.

So long as there’s a never ending supply of cheap foreign labour, and there will be as long as we remain in the EU and elect big business backed government, then all those hard won improvements of terms and conditions will continue to be eroded, quite why the unions are so enthusiastic for more immigration i can’t quite understand…or have they become anti the genuine working (not shirking) class as Labour have?

2. john in cheshire
    May 12, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I think a few decades ago; maybe 4; Unions still had a useful purpose but I am convinced that the Unions conspired with the Labour Party and most recently with the Beliar regime to betray working Englishmen in favour of the communist plan to import millions of unwanted and unneeded third world immigrants and further the EU agenda.

3. Bunny
    May 12, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I am with the keep Sunday special brigade, when I was younger I played sport, this was usually on a Sunday. It means that anyone going into retail couldn’t have a Sunday game of rugby (in my case), when I worked on the railways Sunday was a normal working day but as you stated everyone who worked Sunday got an enhanced rate. I agree the EU is for large corporations as it is easier for the government to deal with, small and disparate industries really screw up the government’s ability to deal directly.

4. May 13, 2015 at 3:18 am

Keep Holy the Sabbath day. Unless you get double pay. Would that amount to 30 pieces of silver?

5. Daedalus
    May 13, 2015 at 4:54 am

Ii always argued with my directors that if they wanted urgent engineering work doing on Sunday they would have to pay double time for it. Similarly if we had to call a more highly trained fitter in to sort something out that night shift staff could not sort; then they got paid 4 hours callout, plus the clocked time all subjected to the overtime rate applicable. If someone was called in at 02:00 worked for an hour, they got 10 hours pay. It cost the company £138.50 to get a £2,500 an hour production line back up and running.
    At another company I negotiated for double time for all staff who worked over the Easter 4 day break plus a day of in liue. We got so much done in that 4 day shutdown it probably reduced the need for overtime for the rest of the year 10 fold. And I was the Cheif Engineer, not tye union rep. Pay people correctly and it comes back in spades, less grief, less downtime, happier staff and more profit. Simples.

• Judd
      May 13, 2015 at 9:02 am

That’s the way companies grow and succeed.

Where i am now it’s industry leading in terms and conditions for staff, as a result the company never advertises for the more usual staff and only once in a blue moon for specialised people such as HR.

The result being the company has gone from strength to strength during the recession, in no small part thanks to motivated and minimal staff who in general don’t take the piss (always find the odd few fools who can see now further than the end of their beaks)and bend over backwards to make it all work.

The above means the company can be very choosy who they employ, get many of their apprecialitive recruits via recommendation from existing employees who want the company to succeed, being a specialised industry that keeps their training costs low and productivity high and pre weeds out those who don’t want to work for their living and staff usually stay till they retire…everyone’s a winner.

6. Old Geezer
    May 13, 2015 at 10:01 am

Many years ago when I was young. (That is before Wilson), there were no national wage agreements. All the skilled craftsmen knew what all the employers paid. The best payers got the best craftsmen. With the semiskilled it worked much the same. The good employers kept a waiting list of people wanting to work for them. As soon as a vacancy occurred, they could fill it with the next one on the list. The unions, with their national agreements, and support for the useless hangers on, destroyed this. Union power peaked in the 1960-70s, with Wilson. Since then it has slowly gone down. The militant unions are now almost irrelevant. Most workers are so well paid now that they can not afford to have a prolonged strike. The old days of unskilled manual labour holding the country to ransom are long gone, soon to be followed by the Trade Union leaders, who put their dream world of socialism before the interests of their members.