Recquiescat in Pace; Olive!

Foreword:-

I don’t care if those little black kids are blind, or uneducated, or are allegedly exhausted from walking miles to get water. It is their Governments’ responsibility to teach, clothe, or cure them, all of them. I don’t want to know if the backward clowns in Bangladesh are starving, or the sons and daughters of the religious fanatics in Pakistan have been washed out of their mud huts by the floods; I really get fed up by the constant calls for £3.00 a month here, or £13.00 monthly (by direct debit, of course) there, or ‘make a covenant in your will for Charity X or ‘DoGooders Anonymous’; or any of the hundreds of so-called charities who leach off the goodwill of the British people.

Does the condition of donkeys in some cess-pit of a country really need a charity based in England to get cash to do, what exactly? Lighten their load? If you believe that; you’ll believe anything! Ever wondered about the cost of half- or full-page adverts in daily newspapers? It is truly expensive. Has the cost of advertising on t.v. or the radio ever crossed your mind? If you have ever given to charity, for whatever reason or cause, the advertising industry rakes it in, and you are paying the bill. You are also paying the wages bill for outfits like the RSPCA, whose chief executive, whose salary ‘is within the parameters of the going rate for major UK charities’, and is set at £160.000.00. Thats more than the bloody Prime Minister gets, and he is supposed to be running the country.

Charity? The whole industry should be renamed as the ‘Cheaters Charter’; or ‘Simpletons; sign here.’ I wouldn’t give them the sweat from my socks; bunch of thieving shysters, just about the whole bunch. A very, very few should survive, but the ones who feed off of taxpayers cash via Government ‘donations’: I’d close ‘em all down, send the entire teams of high-paid ‘executives’ off for an all-expenses-paid holiday on Gruinard Island: that should sort them out!

I write a small eulogy for a true British lady, not that she was treated as such in the final years and months of this doughty lady’s life. Olive Cooke was 92 when she fell, or more likely jumped to her death in the Avon Gorge, near Bristol; where she had lived. She collected every year for the Royal British Legion selling poppies, in memory of her sailor husband, who died in action in 1943. She, unfortunately, also gave from what she had to every sob-story under the sun, every fake charity, every bunch of legal thieves operating under the shelter of the Charities Commission. She gave and she gave, until she decided to give no more, and closed down the direct debits; and then the cabal of bloodsuckers commenced their campaigns of phone calls and begging letters to get ever more cash out of the bank accounts of this weak, elderly lady who had given so much already. She closed the accounts down because she was recovering from cancer, and worried she would be unable to go to her bank to replenish the accounts; and finally, she felt she could take no more, and ‘went forwards toward the wind’.

Farewell Olive, you can rest easy, you have done your best, the ‘charities’ will just have to find another ‘sucker’ to bleed dry, as there was, literally, nothing left at the end for this small, seemingly-indomitable lady.

7 comments for “Recquiescat in Pace; Olive!

1. sjs
    May 15, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Good grief.

Can’t think of any words to describe the wastrel charity sorts that are appropriate without besmirching this lovely lady’s memory.

RIP Olive.

2. Hereward unbowed.
    May 16, 2015 at 2:02 am

A few years back, probably in the early days of the Blair-Broon terror, I was half listening to some radio programme or other. In which, the presenter was droning, questioning some young thing and casually asked what was her occupation, to which she replied, charity worker/organizer/coordinator – or so some such title.
    I paused at hearing this, a ‘new’ occupation? Strike me blimey I thought – mainly I pondered to myself – isn’t that sort of pro bono stuff done by unpaid volunteers in their own spare time?

I was also struck by the strident ring in this lady’s voice, “Charity worker”. Bless my soul, she almost sounded so redolent of that sort who hail from the public sector, full of it and themselves and cock sure of their vital importance to the integral well being of the nation………..oh hell YES. And immediately I thought to myself, there’s something in her tone that I don’t much like, I later realized what it was, the fire of holy righteousness – “give us your money, we can spend on real crises!” oh and btw PAY my £50K salary and 4×4 – it’s all in the contract.

In times past, I would go out of my way to pop some money in a tin of a particular charity or two I know what it is like, when I was a tad younger my mother would dragoon me, taken out and put on a street corner badge and all pushed into flag selling and singing and collecting in railway stations – for God sakes, I know what it is like and it is tough.

But that’s all changed now, in fact I will challenge chuggers on the street and will go out of my way to see off such faux politicized ‘street muggers’ such as ‘Save the Children’ – and the air ambulance lunatics – never in a million years would I give to political charities they make me vomit with their pious entreaties and sugar coated lies.

I willingly give to local charities and help out at Hospices and finally absolutely: charity really does begin at home.

3. Henry Kaye
    May 16, 2015 at 10:58 am

I was just making these comments to my visiting daughter (not a youngster) when the subject of the Nepal appeals arose. My questions about these many “Charities” have been growing for a lo g time and I am now very selective about who I support. There are far too many “organisations” very quick to leap onto the bandwagon – “organisations” with very well paid officers.

4. wg
    May 16, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I’m surprised we aren’t labelled as ‘Charity Deniers’

Don’t these people realise that badgering people after the original donation has been made only deters people from giving again.

• May 16, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Try stopping once you have & you realise just how persistent they are – my mum got hassled a lot when she quit RSPCA – until they made the mistake of ringing when I was there… 🙂

5. May 16, 2015 at 4:45 pm

I went to Sainsbury in Southend yesterday to get a sandwich for lunch. There was a chugger at the door collecting ‘for soldiers’. My hand automatically went to my purse, until I read his jacket insignia & bucket – he was collecting ‘for child soldiers’.

All he got from me was an icy glare in passing.

6. May 17, 2015 at 11:21 am

Not a lot I can add to what’s already been said.