Well, Yes. And The Problem With This Is..?

Large parts of England are about to become off-limits for tens of thousands of poorer families because of the planned cut in the annual benefit cap, David Cameron is being warned by housing experts.

In the same way that Bentleys and yachts are ‘off limits’ to me, I suppose?

Ministers argue that the policy – described as a “matter of fairness” by the Chancellor, George Osborne, and the Work and Pensions Secretary, Iain Duncan Smith – encourages the jobless to look for work.

But the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) said larger families would be priced out of their current homes as they would not be left with enough money to cover their rent.

And whose fault is that? I can’t afford to live in certain areas of the UK because they are too expensive. And I work for a living!

Single parents with three children would still find average housing-association rents beyond them in London and most of the South-east, according to the CIH’s UK Housing Review briefing.

Good! That’s what’s supposed to happen!

Gavin Smart, the institute’s deputy chief executive, said: “People affected by the current cap already face significant barriers to finding work, including a lack of job-seeking skills and affordable childcare.

“Our Housing Review briefing shows that lowering the cap would make huge swathes of the country unaffordable for larger families on benefits.”

Fabulous news! This is the system working as intended – providing disincentives to a life spent suckling at the taxpayer teat.

Writing in The Sunday Times, Mr Osborne and Mr Duncan Smith said the £26,000 cap brought a family’s total benefit entitlement in line with the average income of a working household.

Just so. It’s not ‘fair’ that you can’t live in London on someone else’s money? Hurrah!

14 comments for “Well, Yes. And The Problem With This Is..?

1. john in cheshire
    June 29, 2015 at 9:32 am

I think £26,000 is too much. I also think it should be taxed.

2. June 29, 2015 at 10:54 am

I think £26,000 is too much. I also think it should be taxed

Agreed, but it used to be unlimited, which allowed at least 2 families that made the headlines to move into large private rentals in Chelsea at thousands of pounds a week. The only barrier being how much gall people had.

The Tories are moving in the right direction though and the £26,000 cap will be eroded over time.

The big change I want to see is a cap on the welfare extended to single mothers and families. Breeding for welfare shouldn’t be a lifestyle choice.

3. Hereward unbowed.
    June 29, 2015 at 12:34 pm

And another thing [s];

i. build more houses,
    ii end ‘open door’ immigration, there must be set some sort of upper limit, preferably UP TO 100,000 and all working contracts for aliens to be for fixed terms only (ala Japan). End the ‘family rights’ influx madness [via rescinding the ECHR].
    iii. child benefit – paid for up to two children only – if you want more kids then – parents have to consider economics and their options.
    iv. no access to welfare, unless you’ve paid in for five years.

Even, consider a limit to how many houses individuals are allowed to own……………….Although I would say that, this sort of thing goes against the grain of free markets – still, I chuck it in for reasons of speculative conjecture and debate.

• Mudplugger
      June 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Why Child Benefit for the first 2 children? You some sort of socialist?
      50+ years ago, having children was an accidental by-product of co-habitation and some level of ‘compensation’ could have been justified. Nowadays, giving birth is a deliberate act, as there are so many methods to prevent the occurrence, either before or after conception. Therefore the birthing act should only be undertaken after due consideration of all the costs and responsibilities, all of which should be borne by the birther(s), not the rest of the innocent tax-payers, who never got to enjoy the conception process.

• Hereward unbowed.
        June 29, 2015 at 8:14 pm

No argument from me.

I was hazarding, should have hinted merely that, it is a worry when one considers the rather alarming dearth of numbers – births, babies of white English parentage.

Another viewpoint, perhaps some future (UKIP) administration could seek to encourage and augment the white English birthrate – to the exclusion of all other ethnic strains – excepting “other white British”.

4. June 29, 2015 at 1:30 pm

“a lack of job-seeking skills”

Seriously? Everything you ever wanted to know about applying for and getting a job is available on the internet.

Benefits for each individual should be capped at £9755.20. That 35 hours on the minimum wage, but with one day off per week to go job hunting. (Untaxed)

5. Judd
    June 29, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Only about 2 to 3 generations late, but welcome news nonetheless.

When i see it happen, and these people have to do as the same as rest of us that have grafted all our lives (and not 35 hour weeks either), ie cut our cloth according to our means, then i’ll believe it.

Until then breath not held.

6. Errol
    June 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm

This is the basic problem though. The housing people all complain that their clients can’t get expensive properties (rents) and so demand government ‘does something’ – namely pays more rent for homes.

This forces up the cost of housing so that workers can no longer afford to live there as a consequence of the simple shopper.

The annoying thing about ‘affordable childcare’ is that if you can’t aford them, you shouldn’t have them. Having a child is a privilege and a responsibility. You must provide for that child in every awy – not expect someone else to.

A case in point are my neighbours downstairs. Puffing away, staying at home all day long living off my money.

7. John
    June 29, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I do love that quote about lazy chavvies “lacking job seeking skills”

So presumably the mind boggling task of typing “jobs” into Google is beyond these f**king morons then?

8. The Jannie
    June 29, 2015 at 8:31 pm

typing “jobs” into Google is beyond these f**king morons then?

Perhaps, but certainly beyond their will.

9. Ed P
    June 29, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I tried typing “jobs” into google and all I got was that prat from Apple 🙂

10. July 1, 2015 at 3:02 am

Taxing benefits. Hmmmm. Sounds very suss to me. The benefits are the product of tax. Money taken from A in tax to give to B in benefits: B being seen as ‘in need’. So that money should be taxed too? Who for? Ahhhh the legion of civil servats who ‘need’ to be paid (from taxes) to administer the tax-giving and taking.

Tellyawot, why not give all benefit claimants three times the average wage and tax it at 99%. We(?) could employs a lot more tax clerks and soak up all the unemployed.

11. David
    July 1, 2015 at 10:42 am

Thanks for the good news. When I got my first full time job in Surrey I had to commute from London because prices were cheap in the grotty part of South London where I found a flat than the over priced town where I was working.