The weighty debate

My mate’s wife was fat. She knew she was fat, but, as most of us all do, just didn’t do anything which might change her girth and her health. Bad diet, lack of exercise, no self control when it came to the treats; the cakes, the booze, the chocolate, the cigarettes, the mega-sized bags of crisps, she fitted all the negative symptoms. She was diagnosed as being in need of a replacement knee; but was told, quite firmly; that no operation would be performed until she lost a lot of her weight; as her weight was a significant factor in the problems associated with her knee. She took the lesson to heart, and in just over a year, lost seven stone in weight; but also persuaded her equally chubby husband to diet alongside her, and my mate lost weight as well. She didn’t complain to the BMA about the delay to her operation, despite the resultant time she suffered the pain in her knee, she didn’t run to the BBC Today Programme, she didn’t cry that she should have been given ‘advice’ on weight loss techniques, and best of all, she did not believe that she should have been treated differently because she was ‘vulnerable’!

Azra Bashir thinks and stated differently; her bodily problem was gallstones; she was refused an early operation, in the Consultant’s words, because of problems with her BMI (Body Mass Index), which was probably the Consultant’s way of saying, “We cannot operate on you yet because you are too bloody fat”: as was discussed, at length, in the BBC Toady Programme at 07.30 this morning.

So, was my mate’s wife wrong for not crying out that she was being discriminated against because she was fat, or was Azra wrong for believing she should have been spoken to more sympathetically, or given ‘weight loss advice’?
As the estimable Julia might comment: Sigh!

7 comments for “The weighty debate

1. Hereward Unbowed.
    April 22, 2016 at 12:34 pm

7 stone! That’s rather a praiseworthy and notable personal triumph for that particular lady, I do hope that, she had the op’ and now, has a fully functioning knee joint and free of pain.
    Maybe, it is speaking out of turn but the challenge comes after – it doesn’t stop, is to keep the weight from going back on.

On, the wider point Mr. Cunningham, there are now two nations in Britain, one is stoic and uncomplaining, the others aren’t British or, they’re under ± 30 years of age.

• Bemused
      April 22, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I cannot agree that the split is age dependent it is not. It is simply human behaviour, there are those of us who got off our arses, worked damn hard and every time life knocked you down you picked yourself up, dusted yourself down and started all over again. The others, the whingers, the complainers, the curtain twitchers, the poor me’s, the life’s not fair brigade used to, if not ignored, be told to pull themselves together and get on with life now they get a cuddle and a handout and media attention and populist politicians fighting their case. My wife works with the public, ask her, age is no predictor of a “poor me, give me stuff, take stuff from them ” mentality. Reward bad behaviour if you want but don’t be surprised when bad behaviour expands and becomes the norm.

• Hereward Unbowed.
        April 22, 2016 at 5:10 pm

You presume too much, and don’t put words in my mouth – befuddled.

2. George (Northampton)
    April 22, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I take your point that one is personally responsible for ones’s own health/fitness etc. However, I’m guessing that the (presumably) consultant who refused the operation then advised the patient how to claim back any national insurance payments that she had paid. NOT

• Mudplugger
      April 22, 2016 at 3:53 pm

My version of it is that, if ever I am refused treatment on the grounds of being a smoker, I shall expect a full refund of the £100,000+ I have paid in tobacco excise duties throughout my smoke-clouded life.

Interesting that they seek to refuse treatment for those who voluntarily embark on potentially hazardous lifestyle choices, like smoking and over-eating, yet will happily throw millions in unquestioned treatment at those who engage in dangerous sexual practices causing HIV/AIDS, despite there being no tax-take from unprotected bum-banditry. Funny that.

3. Stonyground
    April 23, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Isn’t this another issue caused by socialised health care? Presumably if you have to have health insurance, your premiums will be more if you have an unhealthy lifestyle. I don’t think that it can help being an unfair system when people are paying different amounts in based on their circumstances and taking different amounts out due either to lifestyle choices,or the simple fact that we can be healthy or unhealthy through no fault of our own.

4. April 24, 2016 at 6:44 am

“…in the BBC Toady Programme…”

Utterly beautiful Freudian typo there, Mike… 🙂