Then I Guess We Needn’t Pay The Slightest Bit Of Attention….

The data, gathered by the UN, was based on a nationally representative telephone survey of 1,000 adults. The foundation said although the survey methodology was robust the low sample size meant the findings should be treated as preliminary.

The limits of the UN data meant they could not demonstrate why some households were more vulnerable to food insecurity

I bet it isn’t hard to find out.

The foundation called on the government to start measuring food insecurity, what causes it, and how it impacts on health. Inserting a food insecurity module into existing official household surveys would cost as little as £50,000 a year, it estimates.

For a line in a survey?

“This survey is a wake-up call reminding us that too many people are sometimes too poor to eat in the UK,” said the Food Foundation’s executive director, Anna Taylor.

I bet she can afford to eat. And eat well.

9 comments for “Then I Guess We Needn’t Pay The Slightest Bit Of Attention….

1. Lord T
    May 12, 2016 at 10:49 am

Nobody in the West starves to death unless they are in the care of the government.

Almost everybody in the UK suffers from food insecurity although they don’t think they do because they are reliant on a supply chain that means most stores only have a few days worth of food and would be empty in three days if there was a hiccup in the supply chain.

This sort of survey is pretty meaningless.

• May 15, 2016 at 6:43 am

Luckily, my store cupboard has enough Vesta paella and chow mein to see me through… 😉

2. Errol
    May 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm

What affects prices? Energy and fuel. What are heavily taxed? Energy and fuel. Add in taxes on food itself and government makes creting, producing and moving food around food expensive. It makes storing and stoking it expensive (in employer/e taxes).

Yet despite every effort the state makes to starve people, food is still cheap: because of market based mechanisation, market efficiency and human endeavour.

That doesn’t even consider the stupidity of the CAP.

Government is the problem. I’ll bet the author doesn’t consider that. As for adding £50,000 to a pointless survey when the answer is obvious – taxation – the UN won’t care.

• Hereward Unbowed.
      May 13, 2016 at 8:44 pm

excellent comment.

• May 15, 2016 at 6:44 am

Government is ALWAYS the problem.

3. Ed P
    May 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm

I can save them a lot of (our) money, by this simple observation:

There are an increasing number of obese bags of lard stumbling around the supermarket aisles, probably seeking out reduced price fatty-sugar and low-quality animal residue crap (i.e., the stuff they consider to be food).

My concern is not food insecurity, it’s whether the supermarket floors were built to support this gross overload.

• May 13, 2016 at 8:29 am

I like to see a chap getting the priorities right. We should go back to the multitude of high street shops. It will be far easier on the floors.

• Hereward Unbowed.
      May 13, 2016 at 8:48 pm

And as the time passes, the problem being becomes bigger and bigger….

Mentally challenged but unable to stop? Is that the story, they grow larger, the authorities give them mobile trolleys and powered transport and supersized ambulances to ferry them to hospital once the walls of their bedrooms have been removed so that, they can be lifted out of bed.
      Someone tell me, is that charity or, just stupidity?

• May 15, 2016 at 6:44 am

It’s not my definition of charity, that’s for sure…