The debate

Woke up this morning, trying to get an accurate idea of how the debate went. It was not auguring well:

moderator-rigged

The very news that he was being used as the Official Fact Chcecker – who the hell would be fooled by that? What facts? Hillary facts of course, fed in for him to draw on. Hiding to nothing, this debate was going to be.

As predicted, all the leftwing outlets – CNN, ABC, NBC [who provided the ‘moderator’ or rather, the officer in charge of asking about his tax returns multiple times during the debate], MSNBC, Google News, , which only headlines with either CNN or the Guardian, then Reuters, Mail, Telegraph and the thousands of others, national and regional, let alone what TV probably said [I’ve no TV] – all said she was measured and composed, he was all over the shop and sniffing the whole time.

My first port of call was the Beeb Online front page, to see how badly they saw it. They said it was feisty, sparks flew, nothing more.

Second stop was Breitbart which, remarkably, let us down with but one solitary thread … but a thread of 21,000 comments. Now we get to the first deeply annoying aspect and one I’ve been meaning to blog on many times:

Why on earth does any online site use this Disqus thing which not only is total rubbish – slow loading, controlling comments – but then lets you have 10 comments at a time and then you have to click on a bar to be meted out any more.

21,000 comments, at 10 per click. Is anyone else as frustrated at that as I am?

Anyway, the trolls were clearly out and that could be seen throughout, plus the Trumpists too. These are typical:

#  Every poll I have looked at so far says Trump clinched the debate by between 2% and 50%. Can’t begin to understand how people thought Trump’s fact-free mendacity surpassed the informed and poised delivery of Hillary Clinton.

#  CNN pollster said Clinton won but then admitted that most of the people polled were democrats. What a sham! All other polls I have seen show Trump won by large margin.

Next stop was Twitter but I knew these would be pro-Trump as it’s one’s followers who were posting. They were inconclusive, in that there were few posting. Then I realized it’s still early here and most Americans went to bed – no doubt the analysis will start tomorrow, their time.

Here was one:

debate-comment

Next stop was the Mail and the trolls were out in force – repeated comments from the same people, over and over. Most pro-Trump people were circumspect and kept saying the polls had bounced for Trump after the debate.

So, what can be gleaned? Not a lot really. Through it all, I get the idea Trump was not as focussed as he should have been, was more off the cuff, did not nail her on the things he had in the course of the campaign – is he saving it up?

She, a lawyer, was ultra-prepared, reading off the cue card, earpiece feeding her what to say, smiling smugly with that brickable smile. The consummate, corrupt, Washington pollie.

He failed to land blows on the emails, which she called her ‘mistake’ and instead of tearing into her, he was ‘measured’, which is not his forte. Except for the jibe about his tax returns, which he answered by saying he’d release them when she released the 33,000 emails. That one went down well with the audience apparently.

Seems to me that everyone was in his or her entrenched position, considering one or the other had won according to his or her bias.  And that’s where we are – no further forward, with Orban and Wilders doing their thing over here, the Donald over there, ne’er the twain shall meet between the left-liberals and global corrupt on one side and us on the other.

Nothing has changed except our voice is beginning to be heard, despite all MSM efforts that it is not.  Therefore, the only people I can trust on that debate are people commenting at our blogs, and then only if they actually saw the debate, and even then there are a few pro-Cruz, globalist-type conservatives among us – the Cameron/Clarke/Hague lot.

Guido was useless on it, there was nowhere else I could go to get unbiased views on how the debate went. That is the state of information transference these days.

Update:

who-won-debate

12 comments for “The debate

1. ivan
    September 27, 2016 at 8:20 am

Does it really matter?

I very much doubt that these side shows debates will change any ones way of voting and I suspect that the TV companies see them as entertainment only.

• September 27, 2016 at 8:28 am

Agreed – interesting illustration though of how the whole thing is organized.

2. Hereward Unbowed.
    September 27, 2016 at 8:41 am

The democrats are shitting themselves, that says it all for me, for sure they know their candidate is a busted flush, an old codger full of crap, one not even capable of getting out the vote.
    As we witnessed during the eu-referendum campaign, the remoaners vote was weak, verging on disgruntled so unenthusiastic were they about, “more EUrope” – fear of the unknown was the only reason they voted to stop in, oh and most of their public sector jobs dependent on it [remaining] too.

Across the pond and as CM observes, Mr. Donald Trump is galvanizing small town America where the rump of those who never really vote are going to come out and do just that – VOTE. Plus Donald Trump is exciting, arousing those Republicans and Democrats alike who are absolutely fed up to the back teeth of the NYC-Washington-Hollywood/LA liberal claque.

Forget the polls, they mean jack – team Clinton are now fighting a rearguard action, just to save face.

3. Judd
    September 27, 2016 at 9:15 am

Those who know which way they are voting won’t be swayed by these sideshows.

Those who have been left behind or ignored or insulted (deplorables, fruitcakes, swivel eyed etc) by a slick entitled establishment, well represented here by Clinton, are looking for something different, they wouldn’t really want an equally slick clone in the shape of Trump to be Clinton like.

They want different, they want someone different because what they’ve experienced over the last 20 years hasn’t and isn’t working and they can see chaos looming, they want real change, just like many of the 17 million of us who voted Brexit were voting for.

So, their hopeful isn’t lawyer slick, who cares, lawyer slick hasn’t done much for the working classes of the US any more than it has for the genuine working classes here.

4. John in cheshire
    September 27, 2016 at 9:44 am

James, like you I don’t have a TV licence so cannot watch live TV. However, I’ll be going to Infowars and the Next News Network on YouTube because they both livestreamed the debate and no doubt they’ll now be available to watch legally.

From what I’ve heard on LBC news Mr Trump was quite restrained and maybe that’s the best way to play it. Lull Mrs Clinton into a false sense of comfort before delivering his coup de grace. I think Mr Trump will be saving his heavy weaponry for the last debate, at least I hope that’s his plan.

5. September 27, 2016 at 10:36 am

Whatever the outcome of the election (which is decided, remember by an ‘electoral college’ regardless of the votes of the people,) it will be a disaster for a semi-peaceful America. The eruption by one side ot the other will be immense. The question will not so much be ‘Will America be Great again’ but will America be the same ever again.

We live in Interesting Times (for everyone but the banks which have kept interest too low for too long).

6. Lord T
    September 27, 2016 at 10:46 am

People will watch and take away their own opinions. Nobody listens to the MSM now and both sides would say they one even if one of them die on stage.

As far as the comments go. I don’t leave comments anywhere I have to sign up for. The times I have considered leaving a comment at Mark Wadsworths site but have not because of the sign up requirement, he isn’t the only one and those who use captchas are starting to get added to my no comment list as I get fed up with them. I’d actually be interested in how much spam they stop at some of these sites compared with how many comments they actually get.

7. September 27, 2016 at 11:23 am

I have seen little of the debate. From the little I have I was minded of the lack of blows landed in our Brexit debates. Yet I did feel the unspoken swell of dislike for the Remain crew was replicated for Clinton and the paucity of post debate comment, by the tame media, an indication, too, of the quiet panic behind the scenes.

I also suspect Clinton’s medications were increased in the manner of Wiggins’ need for help before major races. As the fool said last Sunday to jug ears Marr, “to level upwards the playing field” to cope with his weakness from asthma. A weakness only occurring prior to major events apparently.

Ergo not used for Clinton for a routine 9/11 memorial service photo op. Look how that panned out!

8. September 27, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Trump won the first half hour then got very gentlemanly. He did not bring up Benghazi. He did not press her on the emails or any other issues.

She, on the other hand, was very lawyerly, as if she were in court.

Trump’s team should have expected that.

Still, this was his opportunity to win over undecided voters by being nice. We’ll see.

• September 27, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Some pundits are saying he’s saving his powder for the last debate.

• September 27, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I hope so.

Am reading American sites now. Apparently, the American people needed to see him ‘acting presidential’.

Difficult as it is, I have to keep in mind that not everyone follows this race as OoL readers and contributors have, so there is a segment of lo-fo, well educated people out there who need to see a calm, measured DJT. He seems to have budged the undecided needle a bit.

I hope the town hall debate is more his thing, with its audience reaction. He needs that validation. Hillary might find that format threatening because of the noise and the distraction. I used to find them silly, but maybe these varied formats are a good idea. There is something in them for each candidate that enables the public to make a better judgement.

He needs to stress that he comes in peace, as it were. He also needs to emphasise that he wants to be a president who will serve Americans and the Great Republic — in their interest, not his. Those positive messages will resonate with the undecided.

9. mona