Stop-stoptober

October is the month for us all to take up smoking, until the lunacy ends. Mine’s a pipe. Yours?

[Also eat more pig and support our whisky and beer industry.]

12 comments for “Stop-stoptober

1. Lemmi
    October 2, 2016 at 2:38 pm

On this I cannot but help agree! Going to the US this week where pipe tobacco is incredibly cheap $16 for 12oz.

2. October 2, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Thank you, James!

3. Mudplugger
    October 2, 2016 at 4:21 pm

But if you support the whisky and beer industry in a pub or a restaurant, you’re part of the problem.

I have not spent a single penny in any pub or restaurant since June 2007 – if we all did that, they’d soon get the message, but far too many have cravenly bent the knee to illiberal prohibition.

I recently visited a town where most shops showed signs saying “Dogs Welcome”, clearly some successful campaign going on.
    When the day comes that hospitality businesses have signs saying “Smokers Welcome”, the lunacy may have finally ended but, until then, some of us will stick to our principles, while despising the Quislings who don’t have any.

• Bob H
      October 2, 2016 at 6:37 pm

I despise the nanny state, including the smoking ban.

However I also despise the inconsideration of smokers who previously polluted the atmosphere everywhere with their stinking exhalations. I wouldn’t have minded so much if it had been decent smelling pipe tobacco.

I would love to see the smoking ban repealed, but would also like to see some consideration for the health of rest of us who don’t smoke.
      I personally would not be able to take my wife into a pub or restaurant ever again if we went back to where it was before.

In some ways smokers brought the ban down on their own heads by their arrogant inconsideration of others.

• October 2, 2016 at 8:16 pm

The choice should be that pubs and restaurants pick whether to be smoking or no smoking.

• Mudplugger
          October 2, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Which, of course, is how it always was pre-July 2007.
          Hospitality businesses always had the right to decide and their patrons then had the facility to choose in which sort of environment to spend their money. Is that too much freedom to ask?

The reason the Smoking Ban is so offensive is nothing to do with smoking, but all to do with freedom.

• October 3, 2016 at 6:56 am

Yes, there really must be a middle way. If it means closure of a pub through lack of custom, I still don’t see why there can’t, if a largish pub, be designated bars for smokers or not.

I’d imagine the smokers side would have over the counter food and the non would be the restaurant part. Partitions do not cost money to the extent of loss of trade.

In smaller pubs, they would, as FE says, designate one way or the other. And not by law but by convention.

The issue though, as everyone knows, is the health fascists such as ASH. As for banning in homes, they can eff off. As for open air – that is an insane law.

• Lord T
            October 3, 2016 at 10:55 am

Why does there have to be a middle way. The pub can decide what customers it wants and it’s profits will be based on that decision. People that can’t stand the smell will go to other pubs.

The main thrust though for the legislation was the employees health. But people choose jobs where their health is at risk every day.

This is all about control and taxation.

• October 3, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Yes, as said- the middle way. Using a bit of reason.

4. Mrs Raft
    October 2, 2016 at 8:43 pm

I will be supporting our cider and apple brandy industry. I have taken the precaution of getting both from source in Somerset and commend these products to the House.

5. October 3, 2016 at 1:53 am

I have smoked a pipe for years and years,

The amount of tax I have paid would keep a half-wit in a mental institution for as long as it takes them to stop claiming that my smoke causes others to have health problems.

• ivan