The rise of the new orcs

The state of society is reflected in its art but just as the pollsters today are not so much reflecting but shaping opinion – see the recent NBC and CNN polls, shown to be rigged – so art and music can be used to shape opinion – see stark Stalinist dynamism on the Moscow Metro.

brutalism-is-back

Despite a decade or so of unexpected popularity, at least among architects and planners, Brutalism went out of favor by the mid-’70s. Films such as “A Clockwork Orange” turned Brutalist masterpieces into symbols of future dystopia. Planning budgets were slashed, and the Brutalists lost their backers.

It was touched on by Tolkien at the end of the Lord of the Rings, when the intrepid band came home to see the big tree, that giver of shade and a meeting place, uprooted and thrown on the scrapheap. And the architecture was the same. Instead of indigenous homes, now there were stark barracks, administered with bureaucratic efficiency and swathes of new rules and laws.

There is a beauty to that starkness in that picture but I’m saying that because I’ve been damaged myself into thinking it’s beautiful. Many in the tech world might think it beautiful as well. It’s lightyears from, say, the beauty of a classic yacht:

classic-yacht

It comes through in the copperplate handwriting of yesteryear:

copperplate

And for those born in this new age, who recognize that something great has passed and who hanker after it, it’s not all lost, not yet – the forces of brutal evil have not yet tightened the screws, suppressed all beauty and imposed atonal horribilism, finally snuffing out the human spirit, which is the end game.

Some readers will recall the posts on atonalism in music and this passage:

The ugliness we see around us has been consciously fostered and organized in such a way, that a majority of the population is losing the cognitive ability to transmit to the next generation, the ideas and methods upon which our civilization was built.

The loss of that ability is the primary indicator of a Dark Age. And, a new Dark Age is exactly what we are in. In such situations, the record of history is unequivocal: either we create a Renaissance—a rebirth of the fundamental principles upon which civilization originated—or, our civilization dies.

And slightly more abstruse:

A creative act in art or science apprehends the truth of the physical universe, but it is not determined by that physical universe. By self-consciously concentrating the past in the present to effect the future, the creative act, properly defined, is as immortal as the soul which envisions the act.

This has fatal philosophical implications for Marxism, which rests entirely on the hypothesis that mental activity is determined by the social relations excreted by mankind’s production of its physical existence.

Still we don’t quite get to it until:

At the same time, new cultural forms must be found to increase the alienation of the population, in order for it to understand how truly alienated it is to live without socialism. “Do not build on the good old days, but on the bad new ones,” said Benjamin.

The proper direction in painting, therefore, is that taken by the late Van Gogh, who began to paint objects in disintegration, with the equivalent of a hashish-smoker’s eye that “loosens and entices things out of their familiar world.”

A person may fail to recognize it but we are in a war for civilization right now, a bitter fight to the death, reflected in a minor way in the attempts to overturn the people’s will in Brexit right at this moment, spearheaded by a communist. Most fitting. And a woolly-headed one as well.

Just how a communist came to be head of a major party like this, with a significant proportion of the population believing he will bring some sort of nirvana to them – that is highly indicative of our times.

And the rise of the brutal skirt-chaser Donald who is suddenly doing a Sydney Carton, doing a far, far better thing than he has ever done, is either a testament to the times or to God’s sense of humour … or both. For he recognizes what is going down the drain. You want pleasing aesthetics? Look at his daughter.

And everything goes together or as Dirk Gently said – the fundamental interconnectedness of all things. Have a look at this picture:

hillary-pin-investigation

That is a woman charged with investigating Hillary Clinton. Wearing that lapel badge. That says everything about today.

And why do people fall away so? Well, it’s like Lyndie English at Abu Ghraib – it comes down from above that it’s quite OK to be bestial, to lose one’s humanity, to become a monster – Hillary’s had 30 years to do it and look at the wreck of a person beneath that pants suit.

There is a global cabal and not only are they attempting to wrest control of the world or rather add legitimacy, not unlike Blofeld in OHMSS, but they are characterized, not by high things, noble things like fine art and exquisite classical music … but by brutalism, by yahooism, by ISIS iconoclasty, hellbent on destroying all that is good.

It is that stark, because these are stark people we’re up against. We’re not up against the dashing officer in his regalia, shouting charge to his poor sods of troops, we are looking into the eyes of beasts now. Certainly beasts in Armani suits but still beasts – look into Tony Blair’s eyes.

We might be at the end of days, we might not. Despite my Christian world view, such as we were brought up with, I’m not so sure this is the end. Maybe it’s just a descent into a new Dark Age society will pull itself out of in three generations, long after we’ve gone.

I don’t know, nor do you, nor does anyone. What we do know though is that the forces of darkness are easily identified at this time and they must be opposed, even unto death. That’s how serious this is.

Further, if interested:

9 comments for “The rise of the new orcs

1. Henry Kaye
    October 13, 2016 at 10:54 am

Oh, how you have said all that is in my own, elderly, mind! I grew up with the generally accepted view that things change with time – always for the better. It took me many, many years to realise that the changes that we see today are often ugly, distasteful and unnecessary! You mention music and art as being two examples of where this has happened and I am particularly aware of those but, unfortunately, the changes are reflected in other, probably more important areas of our life. I am not a religious man but have long recognised the relevance of the Christian moral philosophy. I may not believe in or accept the religious aspects of the religion but morality is important to me and the world (or at least the western world) seems to be becoming more and more amoral. Not, perhaps, among the general population but certainly amongst our political and industrial leaders. I have long since begun to despair.

• October 13, 2016 at 12:02 pm

We’re not alone in this either. The internet lets us see many around the world thinking similarly. Question is whether there are enough of us.

• Voice of Reason
      October 13, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I might agree with you, were we talking about the relatively gentle Christianity which I grew up with in the UK. Try spending a lot of time around US evangelicals, and tell me how admirable they are.

• john in cheshire
        October 13, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Isn’t there a difference, though between those who claim to be Christians and those who are Christians? For me, John MacArthur epitomises what a Christian should be. I haven’t heard a bad word said about this man and I have watched many of his sermons on YouTube. He doesn’t spout Kumbaya Christianity or material Christianity or Ecumenism. He just analyses and explains the Bible, so that it’s understandable to people like me. The truths are there for all to see, to read, if they have a mind to. There is good and evil, the earth is ruled by evil, for now and there is a heaven and a hell.

I believe the Bible in its entirety and I am certain that in the end, good overcomes evil. I try to be on the side of good and I pray that Jesus will accept me into His kingdom, but I’m not sure how strong I’ll be to resist when those who follow evil come to demand that I accept the mark of the beast and follow the one world religion.

As Jesus says, the path to salvation is narrow and many will not get there. That fear of the Lord plays a significant part of how I try to conduct my life. But then I think Christianity is the only religion that concerns itself with the individual; all the rest are tribal in their strictures and templates for the afterlife. Jesus came to save me, not my family, my community, my fellow religionists; and for me, that is a significant sign that Christianity, belief in and following the commands of Jesus, is the only true path to salvation.

I agree, James, that evil must be opposed and I think there are more than enough of us

• Errol
          October 13, 2016 at 5:59 pm

John, I accept your beliefs but no, good doesn’t triumph.

With failure being rewarded the dumbing of society, the hatred of success, merit and reward, the underlying spite and cruelty practised by far too many people has become endemic.

Without punishment, the police uninterested in such ‘petty’ crime and malice despite endless law to sbvert common humanity decent, honest people are trampled by the dross, the evil and the cruel.

2. Penseivat
    October 13, 2016 at 5:32 pm

JiC,
    Not wishing to begin a theological discussion, I believe you may have a naive view of Christianity and the Bible. It appears that your faith is very important to you and that is not a bad thing. However, there are so many inconsistencies and questions that no one had been able to answer in my years of searching. While I am willing to believe in an almighty deity, I have difficulty in believing in an organised religion. During my working life, I have lived in many countries throughout the world and felt that religion, of any kind, is an artificial concept devised by unscrupulous men (usually men), who seek power, position, wealth and the opportunity for loads of sex. Before Christianity, there were hundreds of religions. Were they all false Gods? Jesus was not a Christian. He was a Jew. Christianity was formed in his name, many years after his death by those who possibly saw an opportunity to improve their lifestyle. The Catholic church is one of, if not the most, wealthiest organisation on earth yet still seeks financial income from some of the poorest countries in the world. For most of his life, Mohammed was a camel stealing, murdering, rapist who was quite happy worshipping some God or other until he claimed to have been contacted by another God who persuaded him that the old God was a fraud. By founding Islam, he not only became wealthy and powerful, but he managed to continue in his old ways, while avoiding an early and gruesome death, by stating this was the will of Allah. More recently, a failed science fiction writer started Scientology, claiming we are descended from aliens hiding in volcanoes and by following him, we can be elevated to a higher consciousness. In doing so, he became powerful and wealthy. How do any of these differ between religion and a mind bending cult drawing in the weak, the lost, and the gullible? Several centuries ago, a man called Epicurus, wrote:
    “If God wishes to end evil but unable to do so, he is not omnipotent.
    If God is able to end evil, but wishes not to do so, he is not benevolent.
    If God is both able and willing, thence whence comes evil?
    If he is neither able nor willing to end evil, then why call him God?”
    Goodness will never defeat evil. No matter whether there is religion or not, there will always be evil men doing evil deeds as there will be good men doing good deeds. For good men to do evil, you need religion.
    In Christianity, it is said that Jesus died so our sins will be forgiven. That’s the sins we have committed, are committing, and will commit. If that is the case, where is the incentive to be an honest, honourable, person when all your bad deeds will disappear when you pop your clogs? Even Stalin was admitted into the Russian Orthodox church on his deathbed so he would go to heaven, and look how many millions of people he killed?
    Strong on a fluffy white cloud next to him and Hitler and Pol Pot and Tony Blair and Piers Morgan for eternity doesn’t seem much like heaven to me.

• October 14, 2016 at 2:34 am

“”Before Christianity, there were hundreds of religions. Were they all false Gods? “”

3. Penseivat
    October 13, 2016 at 5:45 pm

“Sitting”, not “Strong”. Divine intervention on my auto spell check?

4. October 13, 2016 at 6:30 pm

This is getting away a bit from the theme of the post. Fine if you wish but the new barbarism is what I’m looking at.