On Twitter, there are quite a few vets in a Following-Followed arrangement and is one. He just posted:

The true definition of Heroes … 1939-45 RAF Bomber Command Of 125,000 aircrew 55,573 44.4% KIA, 8,403 wounded, 9,838 POW’s None more Brave.

bomber command

These are levels of bravery which our post-war generation cannot really conceive of. My father told few tales but he was based in North Africa, not strictly a Rat from what I can gather but he was certainly there on the ground facing Germans, I’ve seen his box brownie pics.

My stepfather, sometime after my father died, was another vet and he was in New Guinea [he was Australian, my father British, my other Irish]. He was on the Kokoda Trail and though he said little about deprivation, I’ve heard enough about those.

These things are truly inconceivable. I could just about imagine them, being the next generation down but after that we’ve had successive generations who know and feel less and less about the sacrifices. This blogger writing this post has written many things about the donkeys above and the evil muvvers sending people to war on pathetic pretexts but that in no way diminishes the lions beneath who did the fighting and dying.

I believe it is my duty, as a son, to keep the flame alive and to pass it onto the next generation. I would hope they’d do the same.

6 comments for “Bravery

1. Lord T
    January 14, 2017 at 6:32 pm

They talk about it but in the same way they talk about things in the distant past. It isn’t real to them and tbh how can you blame them. It is impossible to imaging what it was like. Many of them never ever had to do without central heating or a microwave. It is difficult to understand that people didn’t have meat every day, that chicken was a christmas delicacy and that we walked or biked around instead of driving everywhere.

I try to explain what I can but they have no real reference point to base it on.

• January 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Got a post coming up on the resistance gals in WWII – now that’s brave.

2. January 14, 2017 at 10:16 pm

One of the very few wartime stories my father related concerned him driving a jeep down a main road in Barrow-in-Furness, amidst a bombing raid from our German friends. He said he saw the first two explosions some two hundred yards dead ahead, and marching straight down the road towards him, and the officer he was convoying. He spun the wheel almost by instinct, and rocketed, on two wheels, hard right into a side street, accelerating away before the fourth bomb hit where he should have been ten seconds before.

He always reckoned that his beer-drinking days commenced that night: as before the raid, he was tee-total.

3. Daedalus
    January 16, 2017 at 7:26 am

The contribution of the CIVILIANS of the merchant navy must not be forgotten in this. As a percentage, more lives were lost in the merchant navy than in any of the armed services. The Battle of the Atlantic was the longest campaign of the war, lasting from the first day of the war in 1939 until the last day in 1945. Hero’s one and all.

4. January 16, 2017 at 3:14 pm

5. Graham Wood
    January 16, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Yes, and there are so many real heroes. Take the under mentioned and for many the little appreciated role of the gallant band of female pilots in WW2 who sole job was to ferry UK combat planes to airfields all over the UK and in later years after the invasion of Nazi occupied Europe, to airfields in France.
    Although I knew about these brave ladies I was astonished to learn that these missions were not limited to what we might call “light aircraft” such as Spits and Hurricanes, but also some of the mighty warriors such as Lancaster bombers etc.
    Imagine a young female having that sort of responsibility – not just for the take-off but more so for the landing !