Libertarianism and smoking

Two catalysts for this post:

The current dominant ideology, a combination of globalism and liberalism, has gained its ascendancy mostly through gaining control of the culture. This process began early in the 20th century. By the 1960s liberal leftists were firmly in control of the worlds of art and literature. They controlled Hollywood, and most of the world of entertainment. They controlled most of the news media. They controlled the universities. They had thoroughly infiltrated most of the churches. They were well on the way to controlling the culture. Their cultural control is now total.

And an interesting aspect is that our opposition is also global, except that we do not see ourselves as hellbent on nasty ideology. The global left think we are hellbent on nasty ideology … so they can get knotted.

Two things for sure. Firstly, migration of a non-integrating kind must stop now and go into reverse. Secondly, we have to keep the left out of power.

What do I mean by left? This:

There’s another aspect and it’s the libertarian. Libertarian can mean different things.

To some, it’s classical liberalism or freedom to think, act, worship, speak etc. unless it clearly incommodes, e.g. noisy neighbours, direct attack on the person etc.

But there’s a second type, found almost always on the left, and that is “licence”. Do as thou wilt and no one can stop me doing anything. Immature and selfish.

An example is smoking.

I don’t smoke because of bronchitis and rhinitis, so I can’t go into smoke-filled rooms. However, I’d not want smoke-filled rooms to disappear due to smoking fascists.

On the other hand, I’d also want to be able to go into a relatively smokeless room to have a pint but not if that was achieved by legislating health nazis like ASH – I’m on the smokers’ side on that and on most things.

It’s just that I can’t, personally, take much smoke around. So I need either a ventilated bar or a large hotel where I can find a less-smoke-filled space that hasn’t been “naz-ized” to achieve it.

What I really do strongly object to though is a smoking militant who lights up in a small room where I am and proceeds to tell me it’s none of my business and quotes me all these stats about passive smoking not being harmful.

Before I’ve even said a word. Usually someone else does.

I don’t give a damn about his stats at that moment, I give a damn about my heaving and coughing, having to rush outside. Mine’s an extreme case, medically and so I have to wear that to an extent. I never speak to smokers about it, mainly because I’m heaving and coughing at the time.

There are ways around it – if he’s at one end, I sit at the other end and/or suggest we all go to the beer garden and I sit upwind.

I certainly have met the health nazi type and want nothing to do with her [or him] but I’ve also met the “libertarian nazi” for whom no rule can apply in any way and whoever’s around must lump it. If that’s libertarian, I don’t like it.

10 comments for “Libertarianism and smoking

1. Hereward Unbowed.
    July 7, 2017 at 9:03 am

Having recently come across the no arguments ‘nanny NHS’ an image was inserted into my mind, from the film ‘Misery’ and Kathy Bates you ain’t gonna like this at all but I am going to make sure you only do what I tell you to as she walks into view with the sledge.

We have no real choice in what goes on fekking anywhere and anyhow, whether it be cashless society [nightmare], making us all buy electric cars [impossible political dream], soon enough you’ll have to own a smart phone unless you desire to cut off from all society and then they want your kids from cradle and teach them all sorts of shit until they vote for more Communism………..

And that’s it, isn’t it, call it North Korea or from the past like the DDR is here but just in a slightly different guise, PRC the same…………… only Russia baulks – how ironic.

You will do as we tell you to, smoking ban was another test and joe public failed that with flying colours – we very meekly caved.

Thus, the ‘Kathy Bates’ [angela merk-zoid] method is winning; hands down, heads bowed and legs chained, ankles broken – big style.

Only a catastrophic economic crash and years of it would effect the change needed to cause enough real ‘AUSTERITY [actually – a crisis] for the big state to be thoroughly dismantled and even then ‘we the people’ need to do something and on that I’ll leave it open.

• July 7, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Couldn’t have put it better misself.

• Errol
      July 7, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Some austerity would have been very welcome. The state doesn’t want to cut spending though. Spending buys votes. Votes win seats and seats allow for political power.

You’re right Hereward, we have absolutely no power whatsoever. People think we live in a democracy. We don’t. We are dictated to endlessly by individuals who cannot be prevented from carrying out whatever action they choose unfettered by cost, resources, damage or utility.

2. James Strong
    July 7, 2017 at 7:36 pm

The whole ‘problem’ about smoking in public places could have been solved simply by requiring any pub, club etc. to post a sign clearly visible from the outside to show whether smoking was permitted or not.

Then customers could have made an informed choice about which places to go to.

• Mudplugger
      July 7, 2017 at 7:53 pm

That would have been OK if it had been about ‘smoking’ – but, as Hereward so succinctly explains above, it was really about demonstrating ‘power’, and the weak, lily-livered, brain-dead, quisling populace just rolled over, sucked it up and asked for more – which they will henceforth continue to get from every direction.
      First they came for the smokers . . . . .

• Errol
        July 7, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Smokers now congregate outside the entrances, closer in if it’s raining. However, that Ii don’t understand: they’re happy to stick a tube of poisonous chemicals in their mouths, set fire to it then inhale the cancerous fumes but don’t want to get wet….

Give smokers a shed to go to, somewhere that locks in the presence of cigarette smoke so they’re in there until it dissipates.

3. Errol
    July 7, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Downstairs my neighbours smoke. It’s disgusting, having 30 poisonous cancer sticks poured through my window on a daily basis.

I’ve spoken to the landlord, they to the agents. I’ve spoken to environmental health. I’ve also, notably, spoken to the residents themselves. Their response? ‘So? We’ll do what we want.’

The same applies with kiddies playing loud music in cars, or revving unnecessarily. If *everyone* did what they want, what would happen if I decided to, say, throw bleach out my window over them, or smash those cars in? After all, if you can do what you like, so can I.

Here the state steps in – and I had the police over over the bleach comment. Got a warning. Asked them to leave, as they were pointless and going after the victim – it applies massive force to get it’s own way and usually, the is to enforce tolerance of the intolerable by the decent. Put up with it, or we’ll punish you – not them, you.

I’m a libertarian, but my approach is to treat everyone else like god (insert other mythology as appropriate). If you believe everyone is an object of deification, you treat them with the utmost respect.

Fundamentally: your rights stop where mine begin and if I don’t want to smell your smoke, you stop smoking. I can challenge your views and you mine. That reality is a necessary fundamental for reaching tolerable levels of existence with others and it begins and ends with respect.

• Hereward Unbowed.
      July 7, 2017 at 11:30 pm

No, you want to build the world according to your prejudice, preferences and sensibilities and for crying out loud you begin to sound just like the authoritarian loons we are constantly droning on about.

I don’t like noise from below but within reason – I put up with it.

I don’t like revving engines but that’s life and anyway I drive as well, fly, take the train all of these ‘pollute’, if you have any sort of gas heating – exhaust is emitted – yeah you’re poisoning your neighbours – man! Think about it, what about the onions you fry and the extractor fan…………..have you never heard of ‘live and let live’?

4. July 8, 2017 at 8:15 am

There are low-level things like crackling bacon and then there is blasting music at 2 a.m.

Crackling bacon, neighbours going to the loo or traffic noise etc. we live with and get around it. The music through the wall at full volume at 2 a.m. night after night is something up with which I shall not put.

There does come a fine line when one becomes the other and I had that until recently with next door. They have now gone.

• Hereward Unbowed.
      July 8, 2017 at 11:12 am

I did say “within reason” when referring to others ‘music’, life is all about give and take, when you live with someone you cannot do as you always did, you must cherish others sensibilities and agree to live in harmony.

Harmony, on so many levels and in facets of daily life, indeed, your whole existence must be to some extent: a compromise. But it must be a mutual acceptance, being told what to do – that’s where the disharmony arises.