We who live in the United Kingdom have been bombarded with t.v. adverts, leaflets, special offers (time-limited), all in the sacred name of the so-called Smart Meters: to be offered and fitted into every UK property on both grids.
- We are told that they are free.They are most definitely not free, the cost is to the customer, but spread over ten years (I think) so the apparent cost is allegedly minimal.
- We are told that it is a UK Government initiative. This again is incorrect, as the push comes from European Union requirements and secondary legislation, on the slippery grounds of both Harmonisation, and battling ‘Climate change’.
- We are told that, with a ‘smart meter’ fitted, you will be able to check your energy usage at a minutes’ notice; and that you will ‘save money’ if a smart meter is fitted.
Now let us examine that last statement very carefully. You will be able to check your energy usage? Yes you will. I have no problem with that statement. But the second phrase: ‘you will save money if a ‘smart meter’ is fitted? Now folks, the only way or manner to save money, with or indeed without one of these small ‘gizmos’ is to switch things off, so the electrons and energy stop flowing through the circuit. You can, if you wish swap to another supplier, but the ‘true’ savings are minimal, at best.
So, are we being ‘lied to’ in order to get a truly dodgy piece of kit switched into to your home services? Yes, is the answer, the ONLY way to ‘save’ cash for the same electricity is to switch the damn thing off, and; when the washing machine is half-way through its’ cycle because it is ‘costing’ too much, all you are left with is a bundle of sopping wet shirts etc. which you cannot get out of the machine because the programming is telling the machine that there is still a heap of water in there, along with the half-washed shirts.
The ONLY people to benefit from ‘Smart meters’ are:-
- The Meter manufacturers, having been handed a multi-million contract to fit gear which will be only of use to:-
- The Power companies. Why? Because they can cut your supply off at the touch of a computer mouse if they need to ‘shed load’ for frequency-matching purposes; or
- Because if you are late paying your bill, they can chop your supply off without hesitation; and:-
- They don’t need to employ expensive meter readers, because; when the kit is working correctly, the total bill is available automatically at the power company’s monitor screens, computers and printers.
- You can demand to have a ‘Digital Meter’ fitted when your meter needs renewing; which means that you get an accurate meter without some nosy parker getting his nose into your private life!
Into the bargain, because of the insane way in which Government thinks of ‘high-tech’ equipment; which is to believe that electronic, computer-controlled and software operated bits of kit will work perfectly straight out of the box: when any half-aware computer-literate bloke will tell them that this never, ever happens. The ONLY way to introduce gear like this on a National basis is simply to approach it on an area test case, where the technicians who are supposed to stick the gear into your power switch are trained to accept all areas of the technology: and then to run things on a three-month basis, wheedling out all the screw-ups, logging same and cataloguing them so the technicians know what to expect when the system goes National.
And then someone pops his head around the corner, and tells you that its all gone wrong, because the first ship-load of kit is being superseded by another, and you have to start all over again!
I have helped build and commission Water and Sewage pumping stations, sections of a Nuclear Power Station, Defence installations, Electrical substations and high-rise buildings, and they all are the same: you check all and every interlock forwards and backwards; you always either see it done yourself, or hand over to trusted subordinates; and when the Client shakes your hand: then you know it is accepted: and there are absolutely No Short Cuts!