And who is right? The Customer is always right!

Long time back, I had a big row with both my Credit Card bank, and my energy suppliers; namely British Gas. They wanted me to sign up to electronic billing, and dispense with ‘old-fashioned’ paper billing.

As many already know, I am an old-fashioned kind of guy; don’t like being told what to do, and especially get riled-up by statements such as ‘saving the environment’ and the rest of that particular strain of bullshit.

So, after long and fairly brusque (on my side) arguments, I was promised by both Card and Energy Companies that they would send me paper bills, the old-fashioned way, and I would both pay those bills timeously, and stop shouting (metaphorically) at them to do what I wanted; because I am the bloody Customer!

So, fast forwards a few years to early this week, and I received, out of the blue, an e-mail from British Gas stating that, as I had been managing my account online, and to save me time and hassle, (their exact words), I would be receiving my bills by email from thence on!

Needless to state, I reacted, firstly by a brusque email to their Managing Director (Customer Operations) {oh how they love their titles} stating that this hassle would cease forthwith, my billing status would resume with paper, etc.; and also made a phone call to their Complaints Line; and was promised that peace would be restored.

Today, as I was checking my mail, I received an identical mail from their MD(CO), stating exactly the same again: as I had been managing my account online, and to save me time and hassle,  I would henceforth be in receipt of e-mailed bills.

I duplicated the e-mail sent earlier, demanding a reply forthwith, and this woman came on the phone a few hours later; trying to understand how I could be so reactionary, and slow to accept new technology, and get me to understand that the changes were all for my benefit.

I don’t know if that woman has ever spoken to anyone like me before; as when I finished, she was both stunned and apologetic in the extreme; as I explained that I was not interested in saving the bloody environment, I was not interested in making things easier for her  Company, and I was certainly not interested in their ideas of ‘saving me time’.

I reminded her that I was that strange and fabulous beast ‘The Customer’, what I wanted was to be left alone, pay my inflated bills when I received them through the post, and they should stop sending me computer-generated garbage!

7 comments for “And who is right? The Customer is always right!

1. November 17, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Yes and I have a call to my gas supplier early next week for stealing from me for a year. I am telling them I’m now ready to go to the Ombudsman.

2. Judd
    November 18, 2017 at 10:48 am

It might sound like a rogue planet but i have one word to say to you Mike, that word is Zog, or rather two words, Zog Energy.

I doubt you will get paper bills from them however you will know that from the start, but not only should you save money by shifting your gas account to them, you will find a level of customer service, via rapid friendly and positive email replies, that you had thought long gone, they could not be more helpful.

I’m only now waiting on Zog supplying electricity too, can’t be soon enough.

I was with the fated BG for years before i realised i was being taken for a mug, my mistake in some ways, i foolishly assumed that a customer of decades who always paid on time would be automatically on a good tarriff, fool, never again matey, the other big companies are just as bad for customers one way or another in my experience, small is beautiful.

3. Mona
    November 18, 2017 at 11:23 am

A gigantic fraud by Thatcher on the British people, selling them something they already owned,, buy Gas shares but don’t tell Syd the Spiv. We Wuz Robbed.

• November 19, 2017 at 1:24 am

Yes, all those private companies nationalised in April 1949 by the Atlee Labour Government to form the British Gas Corporation when 1,062 privately owned and municipal gas companies were merged into twelve area gas boards.

Who did you say was robbed?

4. Pcar
    November 18, 2017 at 11:21 pm

@Mona, November 18, 2017 at 11:23 am

Oh you poor uneducated fool. Yes, BG was sold to others, they paid for the shares they purchased. The British people ultimately received that payment as a tax reduction.

Gov’ts are to govern country, not run businesses.

• Mona
      November 20, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Hi Pear,thank you for the response, its nice t have one or two fans, sorry about my edgjamacation it was the Borstal finishing Academy that done it.

5. Stonyground
    November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am

Mona, do you seriously believe that when these companies were owned by the state they were actually yours? How exactly would the problem expressed in the OP be solved by us still having a state run monopoly supplying our gas?